The field of cyber security has gained most popularity over the years pertaining to the high amount of cyber-attacks to origination in recent past. Microsoft has been eager in providing cyber defenders opportunities to defend in a better environment to benefit cloud based technologies. Earlier this year, Microsoft has introduced Microsoft Azure Sentinel and Microsoft Threat Experts for this purpose.
The idea is to support and power security teams while reducing false alarms, noise, time consuming tasks and complexity. Microsoft security experts are frequently called to rescue enterprise data and cloud environment that has become a victim of cyber-attacks. Enterprises still rely on Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) tools. Azure Sentinel is a native SIEM tool with AI embedded that helps to drastically reduce noise. Microsoft Threat Experts is a latest service within Windows Defender ATP. Using this service, Microsoft searches for any potential threats that can harm your systems and also prides on-demand expert service called “Ask a Threat Expert”.
Both these services are introduced to facilitate cyber defense services aiming to keep cloud systems more secure and smooth to run.
In order to facilitate AI-driven collaboration and hybrid-cloud innovations, Microsoft has showcased a set of new tools to create innovative and intelligent solutions earlier this month at Microsoft Build 2019, Microsoft Corp.’s annual developer conference. Many of Microsoft Partners showcased their new solutions that revolve around the latest approach for development: Intelligent and customer-centric. The advancements are seen for collaboration amongst Microsoft 365 and Microsoft Azure to make customers and developers come up with innovation and productive solutions.
Satya Nadella, CEO, Microsoft mentioned in the event: “As computing becomes embedded in every aspect of our lives, the choices developers make will define the world we live in, Microsoft is committed to providing developers with trusted tools and platforms spanning every layer of the modern technology stack to build magical experiences that create new opportunity for everyone.”
Some of the tools showcased included the general availability of Microsoft Graph data connect, Microsoft Edge, and Fluid Framework.
We covered the Azure Backup feature a while ago. Today, let’s dive into exciting news about 2 latest features of Azure native Firewall that Microsoft has recently announced:
- Azure Firewall Threat intelligence based filtering: this feature of Azure Firewall supports Microsoft Threat Intelligence and provides threat intelligence based filtering. It logs all matching indicators. With the Microsoft Intelligent security graph, it facilitates Azure Security Center and Azure Sentinel. It makes firewall management easier.
- Azure native Firewall Service tags filtering: Service tags confines a group of IP address prefixes to specific services like Azure Key Vault, SQL Azure, and Azure Service Bus. These service tags can be used in destination filed in network rules. A few more tags include AzureConnectors, AzureCosmosDB, MicrosoftContainerRegistry, and AppService. A whole list of tags along with their details is available on Microsoft Docs.
With such features, Azure native Firewall continues to stay a strong entity in providing native firewall-as-a-service which provides rules for application level filtering and network level filtering.
Cloud infrastructure is an important step in providing
Private cloud. Here are a few steps in building the cloud infrastructure:
Step 1: The definition
no purpose is necessary first. It is important to highlight what are the
business requirements for which the cloud is being developed.
Step 2: Workload definition
is important. The enterprises that will be using the cloud must be having some applications
that are run on cloud. Define these workload in advanced.
Step 3: Definition
of Governance and other important aspects like Software, Networks, and Security
Implementation. In this step, the private
cloud along with other resources is stage into the data center.
Step 5: Testing: Test
processes are defined for a better verification of the requirements.
These basic steps shall lead you to build a private cloud. There
are multiple patterns to be followed; the end result has to be better service provision.
Microsoft has now introduced more flexibility with Azure: open source systems are now supported. Partners have broader choices in the cloud which enable them for better investment opportunities. IaaS is now available on Linux, PHP web application platform and not to forget Java!
Not only this commitment with open source platforms extent options for providers, it also opens doors for a diverse team of developers to engage with Microsoft products and platform. They can complement their development works with Azure and get more value out of Microsoft products. Azure Active Directory can be used to augment open source apps with identity management and access management. Moreover SharePoint sites can be connected to PHP portals. Hence the apps ecosystem will continue to evolve with this step of Microsoft making “open source” a part of Microsoft everyday cloud innovation approach.
The wait is over and Microsoft Skype for Business Server 2019 is out. Creating hype all over Microsoft partner, the new Skype4B has shown a few features that Microsoft initially promised at Ignite. Let’s have a look at important features of Skype for Business Server 2019:
- Build for cloud customers: the new Skype4B Server makes on-premise users consume services offered to cloud users. Hence this version has shown a hybrid approach to things.
- Migrations to teams: Teams migration is made easy, making on-premise users shift smoothly to the cloud.
- Extended security: Security is maintained through TLS 1.2
- Cloud Call Data Connector: An interesting CQD (Call Quality Dashboard) is available for on-premises users for better call quality management.
- Cloud Voicemail Support: once the users pair up with MS Exchange Server 2019, users can take full advantage of Cloud Voicemail. If you are not planning an Exchange 2019 deployment so soon, you can continue to use Unified Messaging.
Public preview of SharePoint 2019 is here and in no time, the official release will hit the market. Here are a few steps to get your started with it:
- Get SharePoint Server 2019 prerequisites installed either manually or by Prerequisite Installer. These include: Web Server (IIS) Role, Microsoft SQL Server 2016 or Microsoft SQL Server 2017, Microsoft Sync Framework Run-time v1.0 SP1 (x64) and a few more components.
- Install SharePoint Server 2019, enter the product key and start configuration wizard
- Make sure that user account is the Setup User account
- Launch Farm configuration wizard
- Select the services you need to get and proceed with the wizard.
- Configure farm page and Finish the wizard.
You can also upgrade from SharePoint 2016 for which you shall use database attach upgrade. In such a case, you need to upgrade to content only and not the settings.
Microsoft Hyper-V is a collection of multiple technologies running efficiently to form the basis of business private cloud space. It includes, hardware, software, management processes and business processes integration. Hence Hyper-V is the platform where your entire virtual infrastructure resides. Hyper-V is the virtualization platform and Hypervisor technology is software on which multiple virtual machines can run by controlling the hardware and allocating resources to each VM operating system.
The key to good virtualization is the hardware on which the virtual infrastructure is present. Constructing a virtual environment requires white-boxing approach. If a reliable hardware is not chosen for the virtual infrastructure, the infrastructure shall collapse. An optimized hardware is necessary with decent connecting of all pieces together. There are four core resource areas to Hyper – V: Processing, storage , memory, and networking. These four points combine together to produce private clouds under Hyper- V. Apart from these core concepts there is another side to Hyper- V and that is the management processes that run as the core business element on Virtual infrastructure.
At this time when there are many options offered by Techno Giants with ever increasing features in each coming product, it is hard to get a best solution when you want to get the best of features according to your needs from a single provider. Same case happens with smartphone users who are comfortable with android as their Smartphone but primarily work on Microsoft Apps.
This problem has been solved and now OneDrive App can be installed from Google Play Store on Android devices in order to gain access to storage on the Cloud provided by Microsoft OneDrive. Not only OneDrive, but Google Play now also hosts free versions of Excel and Word on Play Store. There apps do not contain full features but offer general features that are sufficient for most users like reading and editing documents and Excel worksheets. For more details, you can have a look here